No lines, lots of choices, affordable deals, shop anytime and anywhere – these are just some of the many reasons why 51 percent of Americans prefer to shop online.
Needless to say, the online retail industry has gotten bigger. From $390 billion in 2016, total sales jumped to $453 billion in 2017. While it brings great opportunities for entrepreneurs, the stiff competition in the market, plus the enormous demand for high-quality service, make succeeding in this industry challenging too.
That is why effective retail marketing is crucial. Whether you’re just starting or looking to improve your sales, here are some foolproof strategies to get more cash going into your register:
Connect with consumers via social media.
You know it – social media is your partner in-store and online selling. While you want to stay on top of the game by providing top-notch service, affordable products, and clear-cut ordering systems, you should not forget to connect with your shoppers in a personal way. It’s the best way to let them like and trust you.
Consider these suggestions to amp customer engagement via social media:
- Be responsive. Answer their concerns as soon as possible. Set up automated responses to acknowledge you received their message and will address it immediately.
- Run contests and giveaways. You can give discount coupons or freebies as rewards.
- Update your status every day.
- Publish stunning visuals of your products.
Use web push notifications.
Push notifications are excellent tools to retain and engage customers. In the past years, there has been a huge demand for customized content. Consumers prefer to shop from brands that provide relevant content and services.
With push notifications, you can send marketing messages to your customers in real-time. They are accessible from desktop, tablets and mobile devices, and even if customers are not on your website, they will be able to get your notification.
You can also segment your push notification subscribers using an all-in-one marketing platform. This way, you can be sure your customers will only receive relevant content and offers.
To increase your sales through web push notifications, use them to:
- Promote new products or offers.
- Send time-bound deals and offers to generate an urgency factor.
- Make it location-based. Use GPS to send notifications to shoppers closer to your storefront.
- Re-engage past customers.
Leverage email marketing.
Some retailers operate online, others have physical stores or locations, and most have both. Whether you’re selling online or offline, you can leverage email to attract new shoppers and keep your loyal customers engaged.
As mentioned, to succeed in retail marketing you need to be as connected with your customers as possible. If you have a new product, you want your customers to know so they can visit your physical store or your website to make a purchase. Email marketing is a powerful tool to boost customer retention, build buyers’ trust and increase your conversion rate.
Check out these email marketing strategies to promote your retail shop:
- Automate emails. From welcome emails to order confirmation and shipping notifications, there are many ways retailers can use automation. It makes marketing easy and effective.
- Send birthday or anniversary emails. What better way to commemorate your customer’s special day than to send a personalized birthday greeting? Make them even more delighted by giving them exclusive offers, such as a discount or a freebie.
- Use email to gather feedback. When a customer makes a purchase, you want to know what they think and whether there is something you can do to improve your service. Apart from offers and product updates, you can send them emails to solicit reviews or feedback.
- Segment your emails. To increase your open rates and conversion rates, you need to make sure you are sending content your customers are interested in. Segmenting your list by setting up a preference center upon initial sign-up is critical to the success of your marketing.
But above all, you need to keep your email list clean for better deliverability. Making use of an email list validation tool is one way to ensure your list is comprised of valid and active email addresses.
Create an experience for your shoppers.
Customers who walk into your store and experience something unique are more likely to make a purchase and come visit again. An easy way to make your storefront more of experience is to create an inviting atmosphere. Invest in nice furniture and fixtures, beautiful lights and engaging décor. For your online shop, use tools that make shopping fun and convenient. For example, you can integrate virtual reality (VR) so that shoppers can have a closer look at your products.
As a retail marketer, know that there are so many strategies, tools, and techniques that can help you promote your brand, find customers, and keep them coming back.
About the writer: Mike Austin is a marketing and creative content specialist at Adrack.com and has been working in the Digital Marketing industry since 2009. As a conversion-driven marketer, he is passionate about helping businesses expand their online visibility and reach their goals.
- [INFOGRAPHIC] A Retailer’s Guide to SMS Marketing Blog
- 5 Tips to Turn Your Instagram Posts into Purchases Blog
- 10 Tips for Effective Location-Based Mobile Marketing Blog
- Boosting Shopper Traffic to Your Retail Store Blog